Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spring Garden

Last weekend I had the pleasure of spending a day with Anita, from LaLa Cakes. When I arrived she had everything all set out ready to work. Cake, fondant already coloured, ganache prepared, tools layed out and a apron ready to use as well.

She demonstrated each step and then I followed. She showed me how she levels and tortes her cakes, so I followed...she has a very level hand and does it all by eye unlike me who has a small cake leveler. We then "syruped" our cakes and ganched. Layers and then on the outside. Main lesson learned here is that I have not been spending enough time on my cakes to get them just right and I have not been using the right tools...
We played around with flowers for the decorations...she taught me how to make ribbon roses.
Lunch break and then back to it. Covering the cakes with fondant and then smoothing to get really sharp edges. Again, I have not been using the right tools for this...but now I know the secret...

Finally, the best bit. We decorated the cakes!!!


Thank you Anita for such a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment