Saturday, January 29, 2011

Improving and Learning

I had the urge to back the other day...white choc mud cake. I had enough mixture for
two tins, a 5" round and an 8" round. The bigger one burnt around the edges a bit (I really must give bake even strips a go), but the smaller one was fine...so I decided to decorate it, incorporating a flower I made last week, and edible lustre as well.

I learn so much each time I decorate a cake. This time, I learnt about the need for even, straight ganache under the fondant (if you are using it underneath). It makes a huge difference to the end product (in terms of neatness, overall appearance). Pity I didn't figure this out before I put the ganached cake in the fridge. I could have fixed it up more than I did.

Despite a few wonky bits, I can see that I have improved on my last attempts at covering a cake in fondant. It is a lot less bumpy and my edges are becoming sharper. Overall, I am happy with this cake. I think it looks pretty good actually.

1 comment: